Spending 9 years of my life as a member of the Canadian Women’s National Team gave me the privilege of competing in 2 FIFA Women’s World Cups, 2 Olympic Games, and achieving one of the most coveted rewards in an athlete’s career, an Olympic Bronze Medal. I learned everything from the tactical and technical side of playing the sport, however, the most important lessons were the ones I took with me after soccer. All of those years spent competing at the highest level, with and against the best in the world, taught me some of the most valuable skills in achieving your own success, not just in soccer, but in LIFE! Whether that be with fitness, school, relationships, careers, hobbies, or family life, these 7 tips are key in achieving your goals. Enjoy!
1. Have a Clear Vision. Set your goals and decide to be the BEST version of yourself! Mindset is EVERYTHING. The process begins with this decision.
“Create a vision for the life you really want and then work relentlessly towards making it a reality.” - Roy T. Bennett
2. Trust the Process and Stay Committed. Success isn’t achieved over night. Take it one day at a time. Patience is a must!
“Trust the process. You are exactly where you are supposed to be.” - Anonymous
3. Learn How to Deal with Adversity. No journey is ever easy. Challenges will arise and the way we learn to adapt and rise above them will determine our success. Persistence and resilience are undeniably key!
“It doesn’t matter how many times you get knocked down. All that matters is you get up one more time than you were knocked down.” - Roy T. Bennett
4. Control the Controllables. Sometimes things are just completely out of our hands, while others we have full control over. We can control things like our attitude and effort. You can’t choose what life throws at you, but you can choose how you respond.
“We can’t direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails. - Thomas S. Monson
5. Believe in Yourself! If you think you can, YOU CAN! If you think you can’t, YOU’RE RIGHT!
“Believe in your infinite potential. Your only limitations are those you set upon yourself.” - Roy T. Bennett
6. Never Stop Learning and Growing Throughout the Process! We are human. We are not perfect. There is always room for improvement. An open mind allows us to constantly learn, evolve, and grow .
“Learn as if you were to live forever.” - Gandhi
7. Have No Regrets! When you place your head on your pillow at night, make sure you did everything in your control that day to be the best version of yourself!
“A change is brought about because ordinary people do extraordinary things.” - Barack Obama
NOW GO OUT AND DO IT!